The UN Security Council voted unanimously on Thursday to terminate the UN peacekeeping force in southern Lebanon at the end of next year after nearly five decades, conceding to demands from the United States and its close ally Israel, reports Associated Press.
The United States, which initially demanded that the force be ended in six months and later sought a one-year final extension, voted in favour of a final 16-month mandate to continue its activities near Lebanon's UN-drawn border with Israel.
The multinational peacekeeping force has played a significant role in monitoring the security situation in southern Lebanon for decades, including during the Israel-Hezbollah war last year.
But it has drawn criticism from both sides and officials in President Donald Trump's administration, which has moved to cut US funding for the operation as Trump remakes America's approach to foreign policy.
"The security environment in Lebanon is radically different than just one year ago, creating the space for Lebanon to assume greater responsibility," said the acting US ambassador, Dorothy Shea.
The United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) was created to oversee the withdrawal of Israeli troops from southern Lebanon after Israel's 1978 invasion. Its mission was expanded following the month-long 2006 war between Israel and the militant group Hezbollah.
Following last fall's Israel-Hezbollah war, Lebanese officials have called for UNIFIL to remain, saying the country's cash-strapped and overstretched army is unable to patrol the full area on its own.
Israel's UN ambassador, Danny Danon, told the Security Council that "we are at a decisive moment for Lebanon, Israel and the region, on what comes next."
The UN resolution, backed by France, gives the force a year starting on 31 Dec, 2026, to withdraw its 10,800 military and civilian personnel and all UN equipment. During this period, UNIFIL was authorized to carry out a few limited activities.
The resolution says the aim is to make the Lebanese government "the sole provider of security" in southern Lebanon, north of the UN-drawn border with Israel known as the Blue Line.
It calls on Israel to withdraw its forces from north of the Blue Line.
However, Danon made no mention of a pullout in his remarks.
Trump administration political appointees had sought to shut down UNIFIL as soon as possible and secured major cuts in US funding. They regard the operation as a waste of money that is merely delaying the goal of eliminating Hezbollah's influence and restoring full security control to the Lebanese armed forces.
European nations, notably France and Italy, objected to winding down UNIFIL too quickly. They argued that ending the peacekeeping mission before the Lebanese army was able to fully secure the border area would create a vacuum Hezbollah could easily exploit.
The US commended the progress of deployment of Lebanese forces, Shea said, and will keep working with it "to expand its capabilities as Lebanon carries out its critical work in disarming Hezbollah."
Some fear the region's stability could be at risk once peacekeepers withdraw. Algeria's UN Ambassador Amar Bendjama, the Arab representative on the Security Council, emphasised this concern, noting that Israeli forces remain in Lebanon in violation of previous agreements.
Bendjama warned that "without ending Israel's occupation of Arab lands, peace and stability in the region will remain elusive."
Israel is prepared to advance talks with Lebanon on enforcing the border if the country moves toward disarming Hezbollah.
Comments