Academic activities came to a standstill in engineering universities across the country on Thursday as students enforced a nationwide protest programme titled "Complete Shutdown of Engineers".
The coordinated movement, part of an ongoing demonstration to press for a three-point demand, saw full participation from major institutions, including the Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET).
This shutdown follows the decision announced at Wednesday's "March to Dhaka" programme, where engineering students from various institutions gathered in the capital to press for their demands. A press conference is also scheduled for this afternoon to announce further programs.
A visit to BUET on Thursday revealed that no classes or exams were held as part of the coordinated protest.
Sakibul Haque Lipu, general secretary of the Engineering Rights Movement, told Stream, "Today, the shutdown is being observed across the country. We will hold a press conference this afternoon where we will share more details."
When asked about the potential next steps in the movement, Sakib said, "We will decide our next course of action in that meeting. However, a new programme will likely be announced today."
When pressed further on what the new initiative might look like, Sakib added, "There will be a march for justice. Other decisions will be shared after the meeting, but this is very likely to happen."
On Wednesday night, the Engineering Rights Movement, representing the protesting students, declared a complete shutdown of all engineering universities across the country, including BUET, during a press conference. Earlier that day, clashes between protesters and police resulted in multiple injuries when the protesters were marching toward Jamuna, the chief adviser's residence.
Comments